Thursday, March 10, 2005

Choices, choices

Hvað finnst ykkur lesendum góðum um að ég bloggi á ensku hér. Ég hef verið að prófa mig áfram með hvort tveggja (þið getið áfram kommentað á íslensku - öll komment vel þegin).

I have to make a lot of choices now. That is not a favorite thing for me to do. You see, I am a Libra. Libras have to weigh every option, back and forth.

Do I write in English, Icelandic or both? (Comments welcomed). That is one of the choices. The other is what to make the baby outfit out of.

The pattern calls for Mandarin Petit but gives SISU as substitute. MP is 100% Egyptian cotton and SISU is 80% wool (20% nylon). I like to work with natural fibers, especially wool. I've used SISU quite some in the past and it is very nice to work with (made socks and blankets). I could also use Lanett (100% wool) and today I though of Kambgarn (100% Icelandic wool). All these have apprx. the same gauge (prjónfestu). All this yarn (except for Kambgarn) is imported by Tinna and they have some (limited) info.

Lanett is my least favorite, I've used it for the Helmet-hat and it unplied too much (the plies came to easily untangled - þræðirnir fóru of auðveldlega í sundur)

I've been wanting to try Kambgarn for some time but didn't think of a project yet. Maybe this could be it?

MP is cotton and I think the sweater and the pants would look good in cotton, perhaps better than in wool?

SISU is the recommended substitute - but not the only - why not become a little adventurous? Plus, it is only 80% wool and these garments don't need a lot of extra support from the nylon (not like socks and the blankets (vagnteppi).

So what should I do? I would appreciate comments to help me decide. I have already come up with one solution, to use cotton for the sweater/pants and wool for the hat/booties! Wool is much more practical for those items anyhow. But will the outfit still look like one outfit (not from two different outfits)?

As you can see I am making this far more difficult than I have to!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ég mundi nota MP því þegar krílið verður í því er sumar eða bara haust svo það verður of hlýtt annars en annars er þeta bara mín skoðun.

Hafrún

Sonja said...

He he - Hafrún kom með rökin sem ég gleymdi að skrifa. Var nefnilega að pæla að ullin gæti verið of hlý (barnið verður reyndar 6 mán. í des!) en er svo hrifin af ull að ég vildi reyna hvað sem ég gæti.

Kaja - ég sendi uppskrift, á við týpískt ullarsokkagarn (hosugarn) með þeim prjónum sem henta því. Sendi það á danska emailinn - vona að það komist til skila.

Anonymous said...

Well, considering that the other comments are in Icelandic, I'd vote for both languages. But of course I'm biased in that regard.

I haven't seen the Kamgarn in person, but I'd probably use that over the Sisu, just because of the nylon content being unnecessary for a baby outfit. I still have trouble with cotton for knitting, even when its for babies. I just don't think it holds up well for all the work that goes into it.

Is Dale Baby Ull available there? That's a fingering weight 100% wool yarn, and is very nice.

Anonymous said...

Ég er jafn læs og skrifandi á ensku svo að mér er alveg sama hvort þú notar enskuna eða íslenskuna :o)