I want to tell you a short story of a sock that never was.
I started this sock as a bus knitting project. I don't know if that was such a good idea. I probably should have started it at home and then introduced it to the world of sock knitting.
I sometimes take the bus, as I am lucky enough that the bus stops at my house and goes all the way to work across town. Never mind I live in a small college town and the bus ride takes 15 min total. I still get some knitting time (when I'm not too busy bumping up and down on the bick layed streets).
There were few problems. I had discovered that size 1 needles (2.25 mm) provide me with my perfect sock size and texture. I btw discovered this when I had just bought sock needles in all sizes but 1 so I had to resort to dpns (sokkaprjona).
I had decided to try a toe suggested by a guest writer at the Yarn Harlot blog. This clever woman knits a 8 sts by 8 row 'swatch' and then pickes up the stitches and proceeds to knit a toe up sock. It's brilliant. But as I did this bumping up and down on the bus my picking up stitches didn't work out as nicely as it could have and then I got terrible laddering so now this project has been abandoned (some weeks ago actually) and the woodland shawl taken over as my preferred bus knitting project.
p.s. the sock has been ribbed :o