Sunday, October 12, 2008

Back from Vegas

Last week I was attending a conference in Las Vegas, Nevada. No yarn shops on the Strip (not that I was expecting them there). I didn't have internet connection while I was there. Turns out that everything costs in Vegas. No free internet, no free breakfast and not even coffee in the hotel room (and no refrigerator)*.



On the way there, I knit a sock for Kamilla from a Sisu yarn, which we had dyed with strawberry Kool-aid. It turned out perfectly. I almost finished the second sock on the way home (I just love kids socks, they are so fast). I didn't get home until 2 AM Saturday and the next day, when I finally came to life (after being insanely tired from a long day of travelling, coming home in the middle of the night and 3 hour time difference) I wanted to try on the sock, but it was nowhere to be found. Only the sock-in-progress was in my bag, but not the completed one.

Since the airport is about an hour and a half away from Athens (in Columbus) and there was a group of us going we rented a van from OU (where we work/study) to get us there and they (two vans) came to pick us up from the airport as well. Today, Sunday, I stopped by work and the student that drove us home was there. He told me where I could find the van, and I went and looked and what do you know. The sock is there!!!! I´m glad it's not lost completely. Now I just have to go to the Transportation services early tomorrow and retrieve it. It was on the seats behind me (there are 3 rows of seats) since I handed it to someone to look at. I guess they never handed it back and I was too tired to notice.

The color is great. It is red-orange with random white specks. Only trouble is I made a mistake with the toe. I didn't realize what the mistake was until I was almost done with the toe on the second sock. I couldn't figure out why the toe was so pointy and it warped as well. I made the sock toe-up on 2 circs, but only increased on one side of the toe instead of both sides, only on the right side of each needle. I still don't know if it will actually fit. If it fits ok I will keep them as they are, but otherwise I will start them over. I hope that will not happen (crossing fingers).



*Our hotel was the Flamingo, I don't know how things are at other hotels.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

That Kool-aid yarn is great, I can't wait to see the socks.

I heard everything in Vegas used to be cheap/included, but since I've never been there, I don't know if it's true.

Sonja said...

Well. At least not in my hotel. Even the gym cost $10 day, internet $12, breakfast buffey $16 (I had it one day and it was totally worth it though) etc.