Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Soon we will return to our regular programming

ETA: As I've gotten more experience with this detergent I've changed the recipe and the dosage.

I'm finally getting a camera. I can't wait. I just put the order in and I will probably be getting it next week (I got a free shipping for 7-9 business days). When I do I have a large backorder of knittery things that need to be photographed and bragged about, he he.

But back to the homemade laundry detergent. I came across a post on a Ravelry group called 'Recaiming the home' and I noticed that people seemed to be very happy with it and that it didn't seem to be too complicated to make.

The laundry detergent consists of:

1 cup Fels Naphta soap (shredded)
1 cup Washing soda (Sodium carbonate)
1 cup Borax (Sodium borate)

If you live in an area where you have soft water you could use only half a cup of the washing soda and the borax (I'm sure).

I found the washing soda and the borax in Kroger, but I looked all over Athens, OH and found no trace of Fels Naphta so I ended up ordering it (this place had the best deal on shipping). When I finally got it (took about a week) I grated one bar in the grater (same as you where grate cheese or carrots) and then I put it in the blender (I don't have a food processor) to make it into as tiny pieces as I could. Then I just added the washing soda and the borax.

The best thing is that you only need one tablespoon per regular laundry so it lasts for a long time. I had a fantastic experience with it. The clothes came out sparkly clean so not only is it inexpensive but also effective. I've never seen so much difference between using commercial brands.

I doubt very much that any of these products can be found in Iceland. You can't even find decent size baking soda there, only spice containers :( And on the subject of baking soda (matarsódi) and washing soda (þvottasódi) it it not the same thing but very related. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate (natríum bíkarbónat) but washing soda is sodium carbonate (natríum karbónat).

I also made some deodorant the other day. Next time I blog I'll have more experience of it and I will share my thoughts on it then.

1 comment:

Harpa Jónsdóttir said...

Æ bömmer! Ég sem var svo spennt að prófa að búa til þvottaefni. En þetta fæst pottþétt ekki hér. Og það borgar sig ekki að panta að utan. En hvernig býr maður til svitalyktareyði?